Into The Dataverse! Hackathon This Weekend
By Laura Cowan
Laura K. Cowan is a tech editor and journalist whose work has focused on promoting sustainability initiatives for automotive, green tech, and conscious living media outlets.
Into The Dataverse Hackathon
Starting today, Friday September 20th at 4:00 pm and running through Sunday September 22 4:00 PM, the Into the Dataverse hackathon in Ann Arbor will explore AI-enabled user interfaces "that can intuitively capture both structured and non-structured maintenance data, and associated maintainer actions, in an efficient and user-friendly manner to produce more accurate maintenance logs." You still have time to get involved by signing up through Eventbrite at the link below. It's free to register, and food and snacks are provided through the weekend. Here are more details from the event website.
Turning Maintenance Actions into Structured Data
Industry 4.0 - the fourth industrial revolution – is upon us. Artificial intelligence (AI) is forever changing the way information is used across all business lines of the Government and private sector alike. An important DoD priority is to use AI to improve maintenance activities.
DoD maintenance faces growing challenges that threaten the strategic advantage the United States Military has long held in both combat and humanitarian missions. While many modern systems have embedded sensors that capture data on system performance and operating conditions, we also need to be able to collect complete sets of structured data on maintenance activities. Having this data available for analysis using AI tools could lead to improved predictive maintenance capabilities, decreased reactive maintenance, better allocation of maintenance resources, and other effects that could, in turn, lead to improved safety, increased operational availability, and decreased maintenance budgets.
Develop an AI-enabling user interface that can intuitively capture both structured and non-structured maintenance data, and associated maintainer actions, in an efficient and user-friendly manner to produce more accurate maintenance logs.
There are two focus areas imbedded in this challenge:
- Data collection: How do you recognize, classify, and quantify maintainer action? How do you associate those actions with required maintenance data fields?
- User interface: What are the most intuitive and user-friendly interfaces? How can you minimize the burden on the technician?
- You may attend as an individual in search of a team or come with a pre-formed team
- Parking is available on the North Campus in the NC53 lot. It is free after 5 PM on weekdays and all weekend.
- We will provide six meals as well as snacks and beverages throughout the weekend
- Mentors and subject matter experts will be available to help you understand the problem and conceptualize solutions
- We are looking for novel concepts as the outcome for the weekend, a working prototype would be great, but is not an absolute requirement to win
- Viable concepts may qualify for additional follow-on funding beyond the $15k we are advertising
- There are no prescribed solutions, we are interested in your creativity in responding to this challenge
Date And Time
Fri, Sep 20, 2019, 4:00 PM – Sun, Sep 22, 2019, 4:00 PM EDT
Francois-Xavier Bagnoud (FXB) Building, University of Michigan
1320 Beal Ave Ann Arbor, MI 48109
Contact the National Security Innovation Network, Organizer of Into the Dataverse!